The rise in electric scooter use has also led to more scooter-related accidents and injuries. Victims of electric scooter crashes often suffer severe injuries such as broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and even death in some tragic cases. The injuries can leave victims with excruciating pain and suffering, expensive medical bills, lost wages, and lowered quality of life.
Unfortunately, many accident victims struggle to access justice and receive fair compensation from insurance companies. This is where our experienced electric scooter accident lawyers step in.
At Husain Law + Associates — Houston Accident & Injury Lawyers, P.C., we specialize in handling electric scooter accident cases in Dallas and across Texas. With decades of combined experience, our attorneys have an excellent track record of securing maximum compensation for injured scooter riders.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident, here are key reasons to choose us for your electric scooter injury claim:
- Proven Results: Our attorneys have recovered millions for injury victims over the years. We know what it takes to build a strong claim and force insurance companies to pay fair settlements.
- Personalized Service: We provide compassionate one-on-one legal service, guide each client through the claims process, and keep you updated every step of the way. Your case gets the dedicated attention it deserves.
- No Fees Unless We Win: We work on a contingency fee basis so you pay us nothing upfront. Our fee comes out of any settlement we obtain for you.
- We Go the Extra Mile: Our lawyers will investigate your accident scene, gather evidence, consult medical experts, and take your case to trial if insurance companies refuse reasonable settlements.
- Electric Scooter Expertise: Having handled multiple e-scooter injury claims, our attorneys understand the complex legal issues specific to scooter accidents. We know how to maximize your payout.
What causes most electric scooter accidents in Dallas?
The top causes of electric scooter crashes in Dallas include:
- Loss of control due to excessive speed or reckless riding. Many accidents are caused by e-scooter riders traveling too fast given road and traffic conditions. Speed wobbles can occur and cause loss of control, especially downhill. Reckless maneuvers like jumping curbs also lead to crashes.
- Mechanical failure like brake failure or flat tires. Scooter companies have faced lawsuits over alleged faulty brakes and other defects leading to accidents. Worn brake pads can fail to stop the scooter in time. Flat tires can cause sudden loss of stability.
- Poor road conditions like potholes, debris, cracks, and uneven surfaces. Hazards on city streets like potholes, storm drains, speed bumps, gravel, tree roots, and other road defects are dangerous for scooter tires and can cause crashes.
- Being struck by a car or truck while riding. Collisions between e-scooters and cars are a major cause of serious injuries and fatalities. Scooters are small, quiet, and easily obscured from view. Drivers often fail to see and yield to them at intersections.
- Collisions with pedestrians while on sidewalks. Pedestrian injuries from scooters are rising as more riders illegally use sidewalks. Collisions can happen at driveway crossings and intersections. Distracted riders may not see pedestrians in time.
- Intoxicated riding under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Like drunk driving, intoxicated scooter riding dramatically raises the risk of crashes, especially at night. Reaction times and coordination are slowed while confidence is increased.
- Lack of experience operating a scooter safely. New riders underestimate the learning skills required to balance and steer scooters. Unfamiliarity with brake pressure and acceleration control also leads to wrecks.
- Rider errors like improperly balancing weight distribution. Subtle weight shifts can drastically impact stability on 2 wheels. Oversteering and abrupt acceleration or braking can also cause crashes.
In addition to rider behavior, Dallas scooter injuries often involve negligence by other parties like:
- Drivers failing to see and yield to scooter riders on the road as required by law
- Poorly maintained city streets and infrastructure
- Defectively designed or malfunctioning rental scooters
- Negligent maintenance of sidewalks by businesses where accidents occur
A skilled bike accident attorney in Dallas will identify all factors that contributed to the e-scooter crash and hold any negligent parties fully accountable.
What should I do at the scene of an electric scooter accident in Dallas?
If you are involved in an electric scooter accident in Dallas, there are a few key steps to take at the scene:
- Call 911 and report the accident. Cooperate fully with Dallas police but don’t admit fault or speculate on causes. Ask witnesses to wait for the police to arrive.
- Seek medical attention if anyone is injured. Call an ambulance or have a friend take you to an ER or urgent care for evaluation. Even if you feel fine initially, some injuries like concussions and internal bleeding have delayed onset.
- Take photos of the accident scene from multiple angles before anything is moved. Photograph the positions of vehicles and scooters, skid marks, debris, traffic signs and signals, and any property damage. Also, photograph visible injuries.
- Get contact info for any witnesses who saw the accident occur. If possible, briefly interview them about what they saw while it’s still fresh. Independent witnesses can provide crucial testimony later.
- File a police report even if it is a minor accident. Getting an official report on file is critical. Review the report for errors once filed and immediately request corrections.
- Never admit fault or make any statements apologizing or accepting blame to anyone involved. Anything you say can be used against you later.
- Exchange insurance and contact info with the other parties involved but avoid discussing the accident. Just state you need to consult with counsel before making any statements.
Getting proper medical treatment and documenting the scene thoroughly can make a big difference in an injury claim later. Calling the police to file a report creates an official record of the incident. An electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas can obtain the police report, witness statements, photos, and other evidence to build your legal case.
When do I need to hire an Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Dallas?
It is highly recommended to consult with an experienced Dallas scooter accident attorney if any of the following apply:
- You suffered an injury that requires medical treatment beyond just first aid. ER visits, surgery, physical therapy, and medications will generate substantial bills.
- There was significant property damage, either to vehicles, scooters, buildings, city property, or other items. Major damage indicates a serious collision.
- The other parties involved are uncooperative, evasive, or denying fault. A claim will likely become adversarial quickly.
- You have mounting medical bills, vehicle repair costs, and lost income due to missed work. Damages are a key factor in claim value.
- The insurance claim process has stalled and you are unable to obtain a reasonable settlement offer on your own. Adjusters stonewall victims without legal representation.
- The police report appears inaccurate or erroneously puts most of the blame on you for the accident. Fault determination impacts claim outcomes.
- You were riding a rental scooter maintained by a company like Bird or Lime. The rental agreement limits your ability to recover damages on your own.
- The at-fault driver who hit you has minimal insurance coverage that won’t adequately cover your injuries and losses.
- You were denied injury benefits under your own auto policy or health insurance plan. An attorney can appeal wrongful denials.
A skilled electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas levels the playing field against hostile insurance companies, identifies all sources of recovery, assigns fault fairly, negotiates top-dollar settlement offers, and takes cases to trial when needed. They handle the complicated legal process for you while you focus on recovery.
What compensation is available in an electric scooter accident claim in Dallas?
You may be entitled to various forms of compensation after an e-scooter accident in Dallas caused by another party’s negligence, including:
- Reimbursement of all past and future medical expenses related to the accident injuries. This includes hospitalization, surgery, physical therapy, medications, home health care, and any equipment like crutches or wheelchairs.
- Recovery for lost income and diminished earning capacity if the injuries prevent you from working temporarily or permanently. This includes lost wages, benefits, commissions, tips, and professional opportunities missed.
- Compensation for loss of enjoyment of life if injuries restrict your mobility, activities, and quality of life. Damages cover simple pleasures you can no longer fully participate in.
- Property damages like repair or replacement costs for your scooter, helmet, clothes, cell phone, or other items lost or damaged.
- Payment for disfigurement or permanent disability if the injuries leave lasting scars or impairment.
- Pain and suffering damages to compensate for any physical discomfort and emotional distress suffered as a result of the injuries sustained.
- Wrongful death damages if a fatality was involved. This provides for funeral costs and supports any dependents the deceased supported financially.
Punitive damages may also be awarded in cases of gross negligence like drunk driving to punish the at-fault party. And so, an experienced bicycle accident lawyer may seek punitive damages in a bid to fight to recover every penny you legally deserve in the claim settlement.
Is there a time limit to file an electric scooter accident lawsuit in Dallas?
Yes, under Texas personal injury law, you normally have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit and recover damages. This is called the statute of limitations.
The two-year clock starts ticking on the day of the crash. You do not get two years from the date you receive medical records or other evidence, but rather the actual date of the wreck itself.
Not every case requires a full lawsuit to be filed within this deadline. Many claims are resolved via settlement well before reaching court. But failing to take any formal legal action within the two-year window can forfeit your right to compensation, so do not delay in speaking to an attorney.
In rare scenarios, the statute of limitations may be extended, such as if the at-fault party purposely evaded service of process. But in most cases, you have two years maximum to assert your legal rights.
Can I file an injury lawsuit against a rental e-scooter company like Bird or Lime?
Possibly yes. If strong evidence shows the rental e-scooter had mechanical defects, safety flaws, or lack of routine maintenance that contributed to the crash, the rental company can share liability.
Their poor maintenance, faulty parts, defective batteries, ineffective brakes or other negligence related to the scooter itself could legally support a claim against them. The rental agreement you sign to use their scooters limits their liability but does not fully absolve them when their negligence contributed to the accident.
Some examples of poor scooter maintenance or conditions that may warrant legal action include:
- Worn brake pads that failed to stop in time
- Cracked or broken wheels/axles
- Bald tires that lacked proper traction
- Cut or exposed brake cables
- Loose or broken handlebars that caused loss of control
- Software glitches that interfered with speed control or braking
An electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas will obtain documentation like maintenance logs, design specs, past complaints, and incident reports to build a strong case against the rental company. They will also know what legal arguments resonate with judges and juries.
What if I was partly at fault in the Dallas electric scooter accident?
Texas follows modified comparative fault rules, meaning you can still seek damages even if you were partially at fault. However, your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of responsibility for causing the accident.
So if you were 30% to blame for the crash, your total payout would be reduced by 30%. This reduction only applies to you, so other liable parties cannot limit their share based on your partial fault.
An experienced electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas will thoroughly investigate the incident to minimize any findings of fault against you. Skilled attorneys know how to place blame where it truly belongs in these accidents.
They will argue factors like poor street maintenance, defective products, inadequate lighting, lack of signage, obstructed sight lines, and other conditions created risk that led to the collision. Testimony from eyewitnesses and expert witnesses also helps overcome allegations of partial fault.
Should I give a recorded statement to the insurance company after a Dallas e-scooter wreck?
No, do not provide a recorded statement to any insurance carrier after an e-scooter crash. The insurance company has attorneys helping them, you need counsel helping you. Anything you say can potentially be used against you later to minimize claim payouts.
Insurance carriers may pressure you to provide a quick recorded statement while the incident is fresh. They may claim it will help speed up the claims process or is just a routine step. But they are gathering evidence to protect their bottom line.
Politely refuse to provide any statement. Direct them to speak to your attorney instead, who will handle communication going forward. You are not required to give them a statement just because they ask. If they persist, reiterate your refusal clearly.
The insurance company does not have your best interests in mind. A skilled attorney knows what information to provide strategically at the proper time to advance your claim. Let your electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas handle the negotiations entirely.
How much do electric scooter accident cases typically settle for in Dallas?
There is no average or typical settlement amount for e-scooter accident injury claims in Dallas. Each case is different based on the circumstances, so statistics only go so far. Key factors impacting value include:
- The severity of the injuries and treatment required – minor soft tissue injuries typically settle for less than major fractures or neurological damage for example. Cases with long hospitalizations, multiple surgeries, and high medical expenses have higher values.
- Disputed liability and arguments of comparative negligence – an insurance company may offer less if they believe a plaintiff shared fault for the incident. Experienced attorneys can overcome this.
- Available insurance coverage – low policy limits restrict payouts while defendants with extensive coverage or “umbrella” policies can pay more. Massive claims may exceed caps.
- Lost income both past and future – big losses require higher payouts to replace earnings.
- Multiple liable defendants – cases with multiple negligent parties like a reckless driver and scooter company lead to larger combined settlements.
- The willingness of a defendant to settle versus take a case to trial – insurers often pay more to avoid unpredictable jury verdicts.
- Negotiation skills of the plaintiff’s attorney – An experienced electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas typically has excellent negotiation strategies that allow them to maximize settlements.
While statistics provide ranges for settlement averages, the exact value is case-specific based on the evidence and legal arguments. With an aggressive electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas fighting for maximum compensation, many settlements exceed $100,000.
How long do electric scooter accident lawsuits take to resolve in Dallas?
It normally takes anywhere from several months to over a year for an e-scooter accident lawsuit in Dallas to resolve, either through a negotiated settlement or a jury verdict at trial. How long your particular case takes depends on factors like:
- Injury severity and treatment time frame – less serious soft tissue injuries may resolve in 6 months while complex orthopedic cases take over a year.
- Speed of evidence collection – police reports, medical records, and witness testimony all take time to obtain. Delays can prolong the process.
- Multiple parties and defendants – cases with multiple scooter companies, drivers, or insurance policies involved tend to take longer.
- Willingness to settle pre-trial – defendants who make reasonable settlement offers to avoid lengthy litigation. Others choose to draw out lawsuits.
- Court backlog and trial schedule – the wait for trial dates varies by jurisdiction and docket congestion.
While every case is different, an experienced Dallas electric scooter accident lawyer will work aggressively to resolve your claim as efficiently as possible. Simple injury claims with clear liability often settle within 6 months if defendants are cooperative. Very complex cases with disputed fault issues can take well over a year to reach a resolution or trial.
Can I recover damages if I was not wearing a helmet during my e-scooter accident in Dallas?
Yes, failing to wear a helmet does not automatically prevent you from potentially recovering accident injury damages, although it may impact your settlement value.
Under Texas law, juries cannot find you more than 50% at fault solely for not wearing a helmet in an accident, as long as any children involved were properly helmeted. But a lack of a helmet can still imply some negligence on your part.
The defense may argue your injuries could have been lessened by a helmet, requiring them to pay less. However, an aggressive electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas can limit such arguments through expert testimony on injury causation. In some cases, the lack of a helmet may have no bearing at all on the harm, like spinal cord trauma.
Skilled attorneys also educate jurors that while helmets are recommended, adult riders have no legal obligation to wear them in Texas currently. Ultimately, the extent of injuries, strength of negligence evidence, and insurance coverage have more influence on claim value than helmet usage alone.
So while not wearing a helmet has some impact, an experienced electric scooter accident law firm in Dallas can still build a strong case regardless. Settlements over $100K are still possible without a helmet depending on the circumstances.
Do not let an insurer deny you fair compensation based on that factor alone.
Who typically pays a settlement after an electric scooter accident in Dallas?
Depending on who was negligent and shared fault, settlements may be paid by:
- The auto, truck, or bicycle driver who hit you if they were at fault
- A scooter rental company like Bird or Lime if defective equipment contributed
- A negligent scooter rider who collided with you
- A property owner or contractor if the accident was due to unsafe sidewalks, lighting, or other premises conditions
- A drunk driver’s insurance company if intoxication was involved
- Underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage from your own auto policy
- Med Pay/PIP coverage on your own policy as well if applicable
- Health insurance subrogation if those plans paid accident medical bills
- More than one party in shared liability situations
An experienced electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas will identify all individuals and entities that share liability based on the specific circumstances of your accident and seek damages from multiple defendants if warranted. This casts the widest net possible for recovery. Never assume an accident is simply your own fault without consulting an attorney.
Can you collect damages if you were hit by an electric scooter as a pedestrian in Dallas?
Yes, if you are walking on a sidewalk, in a crosswalk, or another pedestrian area and are struck and injured by a negligent scooter rider, you have a right to pursue a legal claim for your damages. Common injuries include broken bones, head and brain trauma, spinal injuries, and more. An electric scooter accidents lawyer in Dallas can help identify the at-fault rider and scooter company.
Contact Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Dallas
As experienced Dallas electric scooter accident lawyers, we have an extensive record of obtaining maximum compensation for injured victims. An electric scooter accident lawyer in Dallas knows how to investigate scooter defects, establish negligence, challenge unfair insurance denials, prove liability, and fight for the highest settlements possible.
Contact our experienced electric scooter accident attorneys today for a free consultation by calling (713) 804-8149 or filling out our contact form. Let us help you obtain the maximum compensation you deserve.
Talk to a Firm That's Earned a National Reputation
SCHEDULE A FREE CASE REVIEW TODAY!
REQUEST YOUR FREE CONSULTATION