Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Houston
Home Practice Areas Personal Injury Pedestrian Accidents￼Get Started
At Husain Law + Associates, P.C, our Houston pedestrian accident attorneys are relentless advocates for justice. An award-winning personal injury law firm, we have secured millions in compensation for victims and their families. If you or your loved one was injured in a pedestrian collision, we are here to help.
To set up your free, strictly private case review with a top-rated pedestrian accident lawyer in Houston, TX, please call us at 713-800-1200 or connect with us directly online.
Pedestrian Safety is a Serious Problem in Houston
Texas remains one of the worst states for pedestrian safety. According to a report from the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), an average of nearly 700 pedestrians are killed in motor vehicle collisions in Texas each year. Many thousands more are seriously hurt in pedestrian crashes in the state.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Houston, TX
If you or your loved one was hurt in a pedestrian crash in Texas, it is very important that you understand your rights, your responsibilities, and what you need to do to protect your health, safety, and best interests. Here are four things to do after a serious pedestrian accident in Southeast Texas:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention for Injuries: All pedestrian accident injuries should be evaluated by the appropriate physician. Emergency needs come first. You cannot recover financial compensation for pedestrian accident injuries without medical records.
- Report the Pedestrian Collision to Law Enforcement: All injury crashes should be reported to state or local police in Texas. As a pedestrian who was hit by an automobile, it is in your best interest to make sure that the collision is reported.
- Try to Secure Relevant Evidence: Texas is a fault-based motor vehicle accident jurisdiction. The standard applies to all crashes, including pedestrian accidents. Try to document your pedestrian crash. Evidence includes driver information, photographs, and witness statements.
- Speak to a Houston Pedestrian Accident Attorney Before an Insurance Company: The insurance company is out to protect its own financial interests, not yours. You should consult with a Houston, TX pedestrian accident lawyer before an insurance company.
The Most Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians are not protected. They are vulnerable to traffic. Unfortunately, this means that a significant share of pedestrian collisions result in injuries. Our firm handles all types of pedestrian injury claims. Some of the most common injuries reported in pedestrian accidents include:
- Broken bones;
- Sprains and strains;
- Torn ligaments;
- Facial injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Amputations; and
- Spinal cord damage.
An Overview of Pedestrian Accident Laws in Texas
Texas is an at-fault car accident state. The standard applies to all types of collisions, including pedestrian accidents. All negligent parties—a driver, a truck company, etc.—can be held liable for a pedestrian collision. Negligent conduct that can lead to pedestrian accidents includes:
- Running red lights;
- Running stop signs;
- Failure to yield;
- Distracted driving; and
- Intoxicated driving.
That being said, a driver is not automatically liable for a pedestrian accident in Texas. A detail-focused investigation is required to determine exactly why a pedestrian collision happened. There is a two-year statute of limitations for pedestrian accident claims in Texas.
Texas is a Comparative Negligence State for Pedestrian Collisions
In Texas, motor vehicle accident claims—including pedestrian injury claims—fall under the state’s comparative negligence standard. The law means that each party to a crash will be held responsible for the percentage share of the fault. Pedestrians can be found partially at fault for their own injuries in Texas. When this occurs, they can still seek compensation—but their settlement or verdict may be reduced.
As an example, imagine that a serious pedestrian crash is reported in Harris County. An investigation reveals that the driver was distracted. However, the investigation also reveals pedestrians darted out in front of traffic from behind a parked car when there was a “don’t walk” sign. The pedestrian sustained $30,000 in total damages. If the pedestrian is held 20 percent liable for their own crash, they will bear 20 percent fault for their own damages ($6,000).
Recovering Compensation for Injured Pedestrians
Following a pedestrian crash, you need money to pay bills. In Houston, injured pedestrians have the right to hold the at-fault driver (or other responsible parties) liable for economic and non-economic damages. Unfortunately, getting a fair settlement from an insurance company can be difficult.
Our Houston pedestrian accident lawyers help injured victims maximize their financial recovery. After a pedestrian injury, you may be eligible to recover financial compensation for:
- Ambulance costs and emergency room treatment;
- Medical bills and other health care costs;
- Physical therapy and psychological counseling;
- Lost wages and diminished earning potential;
- Pain and suffering & mental distress;
- Disfigurement and/or disability; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
You Must Bring a Pedestrian Injury Claim Before the Statute of Limitations Expires
Under Texas state law (Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code § 16.003), pedestrian accident injury claims are regulated by a two-year statute of limitations. This is a strict statutory deadline. You must file a pedestrian accident lawsuit within 24 months of the crash—otherwise, you will lose your right to take legal action at all. Do not wait to get started with a Texas personal injury claim. Insurers waste no time in putting together their defense strategy. Consult with our Houston, TX pedestrian injury attorney as soon as possible after an accident.
Why Trust the Houston Pedestrian Injury Lawyers at Husain Law + Associates, P.C.?
Pedestrian accident claims are complicated. At Husain Law + Associates, P.C, we are here to guide you through every step of the legal process. Insurance companies must be held accountable. Among other things, our Houston, TX pedestrian accident attorneys are prepared to:
- Conduct a free, in-depth assessment of your personal injury claim;
- Investigate your pedestrian accident—securing the evidence to prove liability;
- Gather your medical records and thoroughly document your damages;
- Handle paperwork and represent you in settlement negotiations; and
- Build a comprehensive legal strategy to help you secure the best outcome.
We provide results-driven legal representation. Our firm will put forward the time and resources to handle your case the right way. As our pedestrian accident attorneys in Houston handle claims on contingency, there are upfront costs.
We only get paid when you get paid.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Houston Pedestrian Injury Attorney Today
At Husain Law + Associates, P.C, our Houston, Texas pedestrian accident lawyers have the professional expertise that you can rely on. If you or your family member was hurt in a pedestrian accident, we are here to help. Contact us now or call 713-800-1200 to arrange your free, no-commitment consultation.
With offices in Houston and Dallas, we are well-positioned to represent injured pedestrians throughout Texas.
Talk to a Firm That's Earned a National Reputation
SCHEDULE A FREE CASE REVIEW TODAY!